Homeowners Know Who to Call When Fire Strikes in Jericho
SERVPRO Mitigates Fire Damage and Restores Home to Pre-loss Condition
Jericho, NY, is a hamlet located in Nassau County. It sits mainly in Oyster Bay but is also part of Hempstead. The townsfolks can trace their history back to 1648 when the area belonged to the Robert Williams Plantation. The settlers were mainly Quakers, having fled persecution in England. They desired to live a peaceful life as farmers. It was initially known as Lusum but was changed to Jericho in 1692.
Revolutionary War & Persecution
During the British occupation of the Long Islands, many Quakers suffered. British soldiers were often quartered in local homes, and the residents were to provide room and board willingly. As pacifists, the Quakers wanted no part of the war, which was difficult for them. Once the war was over, a peaceful life returned to the area. Farms and businesses began to expand, and the area prospered.
In 1788 the Quakers built a Friends Meeting House, and it is still in use today. The Quakers built a school in 1793. Soon to follow was a post office, a cider mill, and in 1905 the first public elementary school was established. More buildings and developments would follow rapidly.
The Underground Railroad
Jericho and the Quakers played an essential role in the Underground Railroad. Elias Hick, a local Quaker minister, was influential in abolishing slavery in the area. Elias Hick was a powerful force in the voice for equality. Hicks was so committed to the cause of slavery that his dying wish was that a cotton blanket would not cover him because it was a product of slave labor. His son-in-law, Valentine Hicks, and his family would continue as abolitionists. The building known as One North was once their home. It was built in 1789 and was a key way station in the Underground Railroad. The house had an upstairs linen closet with a removable panel, obscuring a staircase up to the attic where runaways hid until relocation was possible. It is a historical landmark that welcomes visitors today.
Jericho Cider Mill
In 1820 a cider mill began in Jericho. It produced cider for many years. One of the owner's descendants bought the mill around the century's turn. The mill's primary revenue source was Champagne Cider, an alcoholic beverage. Prohibition caused the mill to close in 1919. It was reopened at a new location late by John Hicks, a local farmer. It would change hands again, and today visitors can enjoy fresh apple pie and cider. It is a favorite among residents and visitors to the area.
SERVPRO Provide Fire Damage Restoration in Jericho
A fire can be extremely unsettling for a family. Even small fires can cause considerable smoke damage. At SERVPRO, we understand the significance of getting your life back to normal as quickly as possible. When we arrive at your home, we get busy right away assessing the area. We also check for safety concerns. You can count on our technicians to provide:
- Emergency mitigations such as boarding up and ensuring power is off
- Water extraction from firefighter hoses
- Removal of charred debris and items not salvageable
- Smoke residue removal and deodorization
- Cleaning of all impacted surfaces using the appropriate method
- Repair and restoration of structural elements
- Cleaning and restoration of contents, off-site if necessary
SERVPRO of Glen Cove / Jericho is proud to provide fire damage restoration to Jericho homes and businesses. Contact us at (516) 671-1919.